Beakers and Brews reunited STEM alumni and faculty members

From groundbreaking research in biology to cutting-edge developments in physics, Beakers and Brews: A STEM Alumni Reunion showcased the incredible work being done by current students and faculty alike.

Since the opening of the I.W. “Ike” Cousins Center for Science and Innovation in 2019, a lot has changed. Some things, however, remain the same according to associate professor of physics Dr. Mariel Meier.

“I was thrilled to see so many of my former students – some of whom I hadn’t seen in person since we shut down for COVID in 2020! It was a blast hearing about their antics in the physics lab, reminiscing about the old Goslin, and celebrating our new and improved spaces in Cousins. The spirit of ‘we can figure it out’ and a willingness to try new things for the sake of learning and discovery (and sometimes blowing stuff up) was something that even those who graduated more than 20 years ago understood about the spirit of Oglethorpe physics,” said Dr. Meier.

Attendees heard and read updates from faculty members who shared exciting news and advancements in their respective fields.

Former student-athlete and biology major, Ramiro Juarez ’22 recounted his experience by saying, “It was fun ‘nerding out’ with old professors and fellow alumni. I’m thankful that I was able to grow meaningful relationships with my professors while studying at OU.”

Beakers and Brews is one of many events that provides a unique opportunity to hear updates about a specific academic division. Be on the lookout for more chances to reminisce and reconnect by visiting our website.

Alumni and faculty pose with Petey mascot

Petey mascot high fives a professor
Petey mascot looks at poster display

Alumni pose with Petey mascot
Alumni pose with Petey mascot