Hammack Scholars turn scholarship into skills, real-world business experience

Earning a scholarship that bears the name of the business school you attend can be a little intimidating, but for the three current Hammack Scholars, the opportunity created by the full-tuition scholarship has led to the development of marketable skills.

During a recent visit to the Hammack School of Business at Oglethorpe, Q. William “Bill” Hammack Jr. met the students and heard firsthand what they were learning and how they were applying classroom theory to the real world.

There are currently three Hammack Scholars at Oglethorpe: Adeline Horton of Gainesville, Ga.; Annabelle English of Austell, Ga.; and Demir Dumanlar of Dacula, Ga.

Hammack School Dean Stephen Craft has marveled at how much they have contributed to the school inside and outside of the classroom.

“Our Hammack Scholars are all phenomenal,” Craft said. “It’s a highly competitive scholarship, and it shows in the quality of students who win the competition. They bring raw talent to us and we systematically build critical thinking skills and business acumen to shape each student into a dynamic professional.  Plus our Hammack Scholars are great people who contribute so much in the classroom and to the campus. Their presence at Oglethorpe enhances our reputation.”

For Horton that means balancing a busy schedule of classes with an internship at a construction company and playing on the Stormy Petrels women’s tennis team.

“My experience in the Hammack School of Business over the past four years has been wonderful,” said Horton, who arrived at Oglethorpe during the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic. “I have developed incredible relationships with my professors, business faculty, and peers. After graduation in May, I will join Carroll Daniel Construction full-time as a project engineering working on a new 700,000-square-foot manufacturing facility for Kubota Industrial Equipment.”

Horton plans to eventually pursue an MBA and earn a Ph.D. with a goal of teaching business strategy.

“HSB has helped make these goals possible by giving me tools and skills, such as data analysis and market forecasting, to help me stand out in a competitive job market,” Horton said.

The Hammack Business Scholarship recognizes students’ outstanding record of academic achievement, pursuit of business-related opportunities, and desire to continue their study in the field of business at Oglethorpe University. One full-tuition scholarship is awarded each year following the Hammack competition at Scholarship Weekend.

Hammack scholars receive:

• A four-year full-tuition scholarship, valued at over $165,000.
  • A stipend toward a study-abroad course or a professional internship with one of Atlanta’s top companies.
  • An invitation to enroll in an Honors course during their first semester at Oglethorpe.
  • The opportunity to live in Honors housing in Dempsey Hall during their first year
  • A personal college advisor to assist with academic planning, co-curricular learning, and social support

Originally from Turkey, Dumanlar is a first-year Hammack Scholar. Even though his academic career is just beginning, he is already getting hands-on experience in an investing course that allows students to make real investments with funds contributed by Hammack.

“The professors are incredible, amazing and experienced,” Dumanlar said. “And I’ve really enjoyed the innovative classes. I haven’t had any internships yet since I am a freshman, but I am working on a startup right now with help and mentorship from several business professors.”

Dumanlar also aspires to earn an MBA. His career goals are to work in management consulting at one of the “Big 3” management consulting firms — McKinsey & Company, Boston Consulting Group, or Bain & Company.

“I couldn’t afford college education at all if I didn’t receive the Hammack Business Scholarship,” Dumanlar said. “I wasn’t eligible for either state scholarships or federal loans. The Hammack Business Scholarship is the reason I’m in college. Every day I am trying my best to be worthy of this award and represent myself and my school the best way I can.”

Junior Annabelle English from Austell, Ga., is the third current Hammack Scholar. She holds many leadership roles on campus, including an officer in the Chi Omega sorority, Panhellenic President, business analytics tutor, and president of the Student Conduct Board.

“To me, being a Hammack Scholar means being an individual dedicated to their education and a hunger to succeed in the business world,” Horton said. “Each Hammack scholar is unique, but we share the same drive and determination.

The 2024 Hammack Scholarship Competition is scheduled for Feb. 16. It includes a presentation, writing assessment and participation in a business case competition. Students must be nominated by the Office of Admission to compete in Scholarship Weekend. Nominations are determined by a holistic review of a student’s application, including their academic credentials, co-curricular activities, leadership experience, personal essay, and recommendations.

Students are notified of the competitions for which they have been nominated in their admission Petrel Package and by email. The final deadline to RSVP for each competition is Feb. 2. Learn more at the scholarship website.